Silly name, sweet drink! The “Duck Fart” is a layered shot recipe with coffee liqueur, Irish cream, and whiskey – it tastes like a dessert!
Duck Fart Shots
The name is pretty silly, but this is one delicious drink recipe! A Duck Fart shot is a layered shot made with coffee liqueur, Irish Cream, and whiskey. These three layers combine when you drink them to create a decadent chocolate-flavored shot that tastes like a dessert!
Related: For another coffee flavored drink, try our Espresso Martini recipe too!
Why is it Called a Duck Fart?
There are a couple theories about where the Duck Fart shots got their name.
The most widely circulated is that it was a slow night at a bar in Alaska called the Peanut Farm. The bartender on duty was experimenting with new drink recipes during this particularly slow shift. They created this delicious layered shot that made his one customer at the bar, well, gassy. As the legend goes, the lady loved the new layered shots, had a few, and spent the rest of the night making noises that inspired the drink’s funny name.
Another theory is that the sound one makes when drinking a Duck Fart shot is kind of like the sound a duck makes when they fart. A very literal translation of the name!
Perhaps we’ll never know for sure, but sometimes speculating is the most fun! And the drink is delicious no matter how it got its name!
- ½ Ounce Kahlua coffee liqueur
- ½ Ounce Bailey’s Irish Cream liqueur
- ½ Ounce Whiskey
Helpful Bartending Tools
For your convenience, we’ve included shop-able ad links to products we love and use; disclosure policy available here.
- Cocktail Jigger (for measuring liquor amounts)
- Boston Cocktail Shaker Set (contains shakers, jigger, strainer)
- Bar Spoon (though you could also use a regular teaspoon for this one)
Recipe intended for readers 21+
- Fill a tall shot glass about 1/3 of the way with coffee liqueur.
- Take a spoon and invert it so that the bottom of the spoon faces upward. Place the edge of the spoon against the inside of the glass.
- Pour the Irish Cream onto the back of the spoon slowly, so it trickles down and layers on top of the coffee liqueur.
- Use the same technique to layer the whiskey on top of the Irish Cream.
- The measurements don’t have to be exactly 1/2 ounce for each ingredient; the most important thing is to use a 1:1:1 ratio of the ingredients. It may be slightly more or less than 1/2 ounce of each, depending on the size of your shot glasses.
- You can substitute any brand of coffee liqueur or Irish Cream liqueur that you prefer or have on hand. Kahlua and Bailey’s are simply two of the most well-known brands.
- For the whiskey, feel free to use your favorite kind.
- Pour slowly when layering the shots. A little mixing where the layers meet is normal, but if you pour too quickly the layers may blend.
- Since you are not shaking these shots with ice, I recommend chilling the bottled ingredients. That way when you pour the shots they will already be cold.
More Sweet Shot Recipes To Try
Duck Fart Shots Recipe (Printable Recipe Card)
If you tried this recipe and liked it, please rate it!
Duck Fart Shots Recipe
- Small Spoon
- ½ Ounce Coffee liqueur such as Kahlua
- ½ Ounce Irish cream liqueur such as Bailey's
- ½ Ounce Whiskey
- Pour coffee liqueur into shot glasses so they are about 1/3 of the way full.
- Measure out 1/2 ounce of Irish cream liqueur. Place a spoon against the inside of the shot glass, curved side (bottom of the spoon) facing upwards.
- Slowly pour the Irish cream on top of the spoon so it trickles down and layers on top of the coffee liqueur.
- Repeat above step with whiskey.
Pin Our Duck Fart Shots on Pinterest:
You might also like: