This Buttery Nipple is a decadent layered shot made with sweet butterscotch schnapps and smooth Irish Cream liqueur.
Buttery Nipple Shot
Oh the 80s…
From the decade that brought “Sex on the Beach” and the “Pink Panties” cocktails….the 1980s also marked the debut of the Buttery Nipple Shot. Apparently it was a thing to create super sweet drinks and give them scandalous names!
The Buttery Nipple is a simple 2-ingredient layered shot made with butterscotch schnapps and Bailey’s Irish Cream. While it looks like a fancy and perhaps tricky drink to make, you’ll be surprised how easy it actually is to get those perfect layers!
Fun Fact: The Buttery Nipple is also known as a Butterball Shot, if you’d like to call it something less sexy. Still the same drink!
This simple two-layered cocktail is sweet and perfect for holidays or parties! It tastes like one of those Werthers butterscotch candies…smooth, creamy, buttery, and a little bit salty. Basically, it’s like candy in a glass!
Related: For another sweet layered shot recipe, try Duck Fart shots!
Buttery Nipple Ingredients:
- 1.5 ounces Butterscotch Schnapps
- 1 ounce Bailey’s Irish Cream, or similar
Helpful Bartending Tools
For your convenience, we’ve included shop-able ad links to products we love and use; disclosure policy available here.
- Cocktail Jigger (for measuring liquor amounts)
- Boston Cocktail Shaker Set (contains shakers, jigger, strainer)
- Bar Spoon (though you could also use a regular teaspoon for this one)
Recipe intended for readers 21+
- Pour the butterscotch schnapps into the shot glass until it is about halfway full.
- Place a spoon, curved side facing up, inside the glass, so that the edge of the spoon is pressed against the edge of the glass.
- Pour the Irish Cream liquor slowly onto the spoon. It will drip down and layer on top of the butterscotch.
- While you’re pouring the top layer, it may look like the ingredients are starting to mix together. This is normal – similar to pouring a can of fizzy soda – just pour slowly and allow things time to settle.
- You can also make these as mixed shots, by shaking everything together in a cocktail shaker, straining, and pouring into your shot glasses.
- Whipped cream makes a tasty and eye-catching garnish on top of the shots if you want to jazz things up a bit.
- You can also make this as a cocktail and layer over ice. The layering trick with a spoon works for this too! You may want to increase the ingredient amounts slightly to better fill a cocktail glass.
- Bailey’s should be kept refrigerated anyway, but this drink tastes especially delicious when you’ve chilled the butterscotch schnapps as well.
Buttery Nipple Shots Recipe (Printable Recipe Card)
If you tried this recipe and liked it, please rate it!
Buttery Nipple Recipe
- Small Spoon
- 1.5 Ounces Butterscotch Schnapps
- 1 Ounce Bailey’s Irish Cream or similar
- Pour butterscotch schnapps into shot glass, about halfway full.
- Place a spoon, curved side up, against the inside of the shot glass, with the edge of the spoon touching the edge of the glass.
- Slowly pour the Bailey's onto the back of the spoon, so it drips down the spoon and layers on top of the butterscotch.
Pin Our Buttery Nipple Shots on Pinterest:
You might also like: