This Frozen Blue Hawaiian is a frosty version of the classic tropical cocktail, made with rum, coconut, and pineapple.
Frozen Blue Hawaiian
Taste the tropics…right in your own home…with this delicious Frozen Blue Hawaiian cocktail! Think of it like a grown-up slushy or a mini vacation for your taste buds!
The original Blue Hawaii cocktail was invented in the 1950s by Harry Yee, a bartender at the Hilton Hawaiian Village in Honolulu. The Dutch distiller Bols tasked Yee with creating a drink using their blue curacao liqueur. Yee was inspired by the deep blue waters of the Pacific Ocean and named his new concoction the “Blue Hawaii.” This tropical drink is now a staple at resort bars in just about any beach location and has inspired numerous other recipes, like this Blue Hawaiian.
What is the Difference Between the Blue Hawaii and the Blue Hawaiian Drinks?
The original Blue Hawaii was a mixed drink made with rum, pineapple, blue curacao, and sweet and sour.
The Blue Hawaiian has a slightly different name, and a slightly different recipe. Instead of sweet and sour, the Blue Hawaiian is made with coconut milk. The end result is a creamy drink, similar to a piña colada in flavor.
Garnished with fresh fruit and a paper umbrella, this is a decadent drink that will rival anything you’d get at a fancy beach resort! Perfect for your next pool party!
- 1 cup white rum
- 1/4 cup blue curaçao
- 1 cup pineapple juice
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or coconut creme
- 4 cups ice
Recipe intended for readers 21+
Helpful Bartending Tools
For your convenience, we’ve included shop-able ad links to products we love and use; disclosure policy available
- Add all ingredients to a blender with ice.
- Blend until the mixture is a slushy-like consistency.
- Pour into a hurricane glass.
- Garnish with pineapple and a cherry/
- To make this a truly luxurious drink, top with a dollop of whipped cream.
- For extra coconut flavor, substitute coconut rum for the silver rum.
- I recommend using the coconut milk that comes in the can (and shake well to mix) instead of using coconut milk that’s intended for drinking, cereal, etc. Real coconut milk has the coconut creme and is thicker in consistency and creamier in texture.
- Traditionally, a Blue Hawaiian is served in a hurricane glass but you can use any glassware you like.
More Tropical Drinks To Try
Frozen Blue Hawaiian Recipe (Printable Recipe Card)
If you tried this recipe and liked it, please rate it!
Frozen Blue Hawaiian Cocktail
- 1 1/2 ounces white rum
- 1 ounce blue curaçao
- 2 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 ounce coconut milk or creme
- 1 cup ice
- Add rum, blue curaçao, pineapple juice, and coconut milk into the blender with ice.
- Pour the blended mixture into a glass.
- Garnish with a pineapple slice & cherry.
Pin Our Frozen Blue Hawaiian on Pinterest:
You might also like: